Thursday, June 12, 2008

It's a Long Way to the Top


It came. My ATT card. I scheduled myself to take the last major hive-inducing test of my nursing career, the NCLEX. July 11 at 0800. I've been working so much lately that I haven't really had time to think about or study for this thing. I think when the time comes I'll listen to the words of one of my favorite bands and "just close my eyes and let the whole thing pass me by." I have so much to look forward to in July. Spending the 4th at Adam's aunt and uncles cottage with Adam, Johnny, Brandon, Emily, and Mary. CrueFest July 15th, and Cleveland Road Trip July 18-20. Hopefully I won't fail the NCLEX and ruin all of it. I love my friends from nursing school, but I dont' need them calling me freaking me out more about it. I almost forgot how much they increase my stress level about all things nursing. I hope that sometime soon I learn to not listen to what others say. That's a lofty dream I suppose.


This week has been an interesting one. It started with Nursing Orientation=round 2. The same exact thing I did 1 year ago. While it's exponentially thrilling to spend an hour and a half learning how to take a blood glucose (something I have been doing for 2 years), I would rather be on the unit learning the more complex things I need to learn and have not mastered. It also didn't help that half way through this exhilarating orientation, the tooth that has been giving me problems for the past few weeks decided to explode with pain. Pain I have never experienced before. Don't get me wrong, I have had my share of tooth aches, but this was the Mother of all things that hurt. It radiated into my skull, down my neck, and to the other side of my mouth. So here I am trying not to fall asleep and/or burst out into tears during my orientation (I was 1 of 2 nurses being oriented mind you). Thankfully, my mom works for a dentist and was able to call in a Rx for Penicillin and Vicodin. That was great, but they both made me so exhausted the rest of the day. I go in today for x-rays and hopefully a endodontist referral.


I suppose that this week I was truly initiated into the real world. I stayed at work despite excrutiating pain and finished my shift. I worked 4 12's in 6 days. When I get home, I'd rather sleep than go to the bar. My idea of a good time anymore is working out, showering, cuddling up in my bed and watching a good movie.

No comments: